Saturday, December 24, 2005

The Day Tom and Jerry Threw Me Into A Garbage Can

Yes, it's true, I have two brothers named Tom and Jerry. Not quite as funny as my friend Anne who has three brothers named Tom, Dick, and Harry (no joke!), but funny, nonetheless.

Tom and Jerry are older than me. When we were kids, I wanted to be just like them. They played with Tonka toys, and so did I. They wore Tough-Skins (Sears brand blue jeans) and so did I--except mine had to be purple, not blue. They both played little league, and so did I. It's probably true that my mother must have been a bit dismayed at my Christmas lists to Santa when I was a child:

"Dear Santa,
I was a very good girl this year. Therefore, I would like a brand new, shiny yellow Tonka dump truck; a new baseball mitt with Rusty Staub's autograph right there in the palm of the hand; and how 'bout a new pair of purple Tough-Skins (my last pair ripped while playing touch football with the boys during lunch recess).
Thank you!
Marcy_Peanut"

My brothers didn't really like playing with me. They used to invite me to play wiffle-ball home run derby with them, but I always had to be the pitcher and the outfielder, all at once. Mind you, my brothers were both award winning baseball players; I never got up to bat.

Tom was the worst. He really despised having a younger sister. He once pulled the ultimate form of treason by giving my entire KISS album collection to his buddy Dwight. I WAS LIVID! Luckily, mom intervened and got the records back. Not without a fight from Tom, though.

Tom enjoyed wrestling with me, without my permission, of course. I would be sitting there in front of the TV watching Batman and Robin reruns (hoping to get a glimpse of Batgirl in her way cool purple body suit and purple motorcycle!) and Tom would pick me up and say, "You can't beat me! You don't even know how to wrestle! I'm gonna win this match for sure!" Then he would pile drive me into the floor as if he was Ivan Putski.

Tom and Jerry never wanted to play with me because they enjoyed playing with each other. They saw no need for a third wheel. Don't get me wrong, I do have wonderful childhood memories of Tom and Jerry. They are the best brothers anyone could ever ask for. But that's not the focus of this post, is it?

There was this one particular memory that I was too young to remember. My mom tells the story the best, since she witnessed it first hand. This story is forever referred to as 'the garbage can incident'. I was one and a half years old. This is how it unfolded:

My mom was washing dishes in the kitchen, while Tom and Jerry were playing outside and I was somewhere roaming around the living room. Jerry came running into the house and grabbed my mom by her shirt sleeve--

"Mom, can we please play with Marcy_Peanut?"

My mom knitted her eyebrows. Tom and Jerry had never asked to play with me before. She looked perplexed as she stared at Jerry and asked, "Why the sudden interest in Marcy_Peanut? You're usually happiest when she's sitting on the floor staring at the corner of the living room wall."

"We love her. She's our sister!"

Mom was quite interested to see what the boys were up to, so she said, "Uh...Yeah. You can take Marcy_Peanut outside. But no funny business--you hear me?"

"Yeah...Of course not!" beamed Jerry, his smile a mile wide.

My mom helped me put my jacket on and let Jerry lead me outside. Mom stared out the kitchen window for awhile, trying to figure out what they had planned for me. She was focused on washing the dishes when she heard a loud thump! She looked out the window. She couldn't believe her eyes. Tom and Jerry had put me in a metal garbage can. They got a piece of rope from the garage and tied one end to the metal handles of the garbage can, then swung the other rope over a sturdy tree branch. My mom stared in awe as she saw the boys lift the garbage can up, pulling on the rope with all of their might, as I stood in the garbage can holding on for dear life!

My mom said she couldn't believe what she was seeing: "I can't believe the boys are smart enough to figure out how to make a homemade pulley system. What brilliance!" She watched them pull me up into the air and basked in their ultimate genius one last time before she ran out and made them stop. "This looks like a lot of fun, boys, but I think it's a bit dangerous."

Yeah, just a bit.

My family members often say that I'm bent because of the trauma I endured during 'the garbage can incident'. They're jesting, of course, but there's no telling what effect this act of 'genius' had on my young brain. I guess we'll never know, will we? ;)

Garbage can illustration downloaded from: http://ts.smoothcorp.com/
Tom and Jerry downloaded from:
http://www.fse.ulaval.ca/aedepul/Photos2/tom%20et%20jerry.jpg

tags: , , ,


©2005 Marcy_Peanut. All rights reserved.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gyrobo said...

That is SO what I would've done.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You would have done that to your little sister??? That's just cruel!
And, from reading my comments on your blog and others, there probably WAS some drain bamage! ;)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Very funny. I found you through Bobby's blog and I am glad I did. Thanks for the laugh and come bye and check out my blog when you have time. :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger sage said...

You know, I use to think my brother and I (who were 1 and 2 years older than our sister), were mean to her. But we never put her in the trash can! If we had, and my sister had been writing this, the next post would be about my mother being charged with child abuse after she beat us to death. May your holidays be bright!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Miladysa said...

When my older three children were younger (does that make any sense?!) they used to invite the entire street around to play in our garden. One day, I heard a crowd of children laughing and discovered that my eldest son was charging a 10p entrance to watch his little brother eat caterpillars!!!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Dubya said...

Very interestin' and funny blog. This Presidint would be honored ta exchange links with ya. Though there's somethin' I'm not totally clear on here--so what you're sayin' is that Marcy from the Peanuts is the li'l sister of the cat and the mouse from Tom and Jerry? 'Cause, wow, I never knew that.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MILADYSA--That is TOOOOOO funny! Did the little guy actually eat the caterpillars??? Yuck.

DUBYA--Thanks for the link exchange!

And, yes, Marcy IS indeed the younger sister of Tom and Jerry. They tried to keep that secret on the downlow because she's a little bent (in love with Peppermint Patty). It was pre ELLEN, so it wasn't kosher to be OUT and about. Now, I feel as though it is time to tell the truth. :)

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Garbage can pranks like this are dangerous, and illegal in 32 states. If my brother ever tried something like this I would sick my pet worm Slimey on him!

1:37 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

They wore Tough-Skins (Sears brand blue jeans) and so did I

I had to wear those stupid pants too, so don't feel bad. I ripped the toughskin tags off before I could take them to school.

for the record, those pants suck. I kept ripping them.

As for the garbage can, that's pretty clever. I wish I thought of something like that. I used to play practical jokes all the time and never thought of that. Dang it! Your brothers are cool.

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home