Thursday, January 05, 2006

Lunchbox Head

I’ve been called many things in my life. The one name that always stands out the most is ‘Lunchbox Head’. Yes, my loving brothers bestowed that moniker upon me when I was in my early teens. Lunchbox Head: need I explain? I suppose so.

Back in the early 1970’s, the ‘shag’ hairdo was all the rage. My mother used to drive me to her friend Pearl’s house to get my ‘shag’ haircut once every several months, without fail. I didn’t mind going to Pearl’s house. She had her very own beauty parlor in the basement of her house. I liked looking at the shiny mirrors—all illuminated with light pink bulbs. The swivel chairs were fun, too. They were a shiny red material. There were pictures of James Dean and Natalie Wood on the walls. At the time, I thought for sure that she had cut their hair. Now I think not! The place looked like a hair salon straight from the 1950’s.

One of my favorite things about going to Pearl’s house was seeing her daughter, Jodie. She was twice as old as I was, and she played the guitar. I thought she was the coolest thing since sliced bread—not only because she played the guitar, but also because she was obviously into the Bionic Woman. She had long, flowing brown hair, and wore flannel shirts. I can remember one time I just stood outside her door and peeked through the threshold just far enough to watch her sitting on the bed while she played some John Denver. I was mesmerized. That was the exact moment in my life when I decided that I wanted to be a guitarist, and not a drummer!

Getting back to my haircuts-- Pearl used to give me these wild looking shag haircuts. I remember sitting in the swivel chair after the cut and thinking, ‘Wow, this is awesome! How cool! I’m gonna be a star someday!” Looking back at these old pictures, I often wonder, “Jesus Christmas, did Pearl even have a license to cut hair, or was this a mere hobby?” My haircuts weren’t as ‘cool’ as they were ‘uneven’ and ‘messy’. Unfortunately, for me, I kept getting this ‘shag’ cut well into my early teens. That’s when my brothers decided to call me Lunchbox Head. I can’t really blame them. I do have a rather polygon-esque shaped head.

I remember the first time Tom and Jerry (my brothers) called me Lunchbox Head. We were on our annual vacation down the Jersey Shore. All of us (my cousins and friends that we brought with us) were at that age where we wanted to go out cruising for people of the opposite sex (well, with one exception!). I remember standing by the side of the beach house with a ¾ sleeve baseball shirt that said, “Rock-N-Roll” in big bold letters—right above a skull that had flames coming out of the eyes (I don’t know what I was thinking…I was gonna be a rock god, remember?). A bunch of us were standing next to my mom’s blue and white Chevy Blazer, when Tommy looked at me and said, “You’re head is shaped like a lunchbox.”

To which I said, “Shut up.”

He sardonically retorted, “What’d ya say, Lunchbox Head?!”

Thus my socially crippling moniker was born. Who would possibly want to date someone with a bean shaped like a lunch box? I didn’t take it lying down. Oh no. I went out and got myself a perm (remember those?).

That only proved to make matters worse.

My new nickname became “Frizzbean.”

It wasn't easy being me. Thank God for my guitar, or I probably would have ended up a child star gone bad, even though I was only a child star in my own mind.


tags: , , ,


©2005 Marcy_Peanut. All rights reserved.

19 Comments:

Blogger concerned citizen said...

Lunch-box head? It's a tad weird. My 2 brothers close to my age, (there were 8 of us) always seemed to conspire against me, too. They used to get mohawk haircuts in the summer & always got to be the indians. I had to be the cowboy, which was not nearly as fun.

I also remember my first 'shag' haircut. Acually it was the first time I had someone besides my mother cut my hair. It was a great haircut. I spent alot of time in front of the mirror, admiring myself after that haircut.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

My first shag haircut took years to grow out. It was aweful. Lunch-box head- that would be traumatic! :)

10:53 PM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

lol. what a funny moniker. i just read all your posts, and i think your sense of humor is awesome!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Gyrobo said...

Lunch?! Where's lunch?! I distinctly heard someone say something about food...

Oh. Lunchbox. Makes sense. But remember that lunch is a double edged sword.

9:03 AM  
Blogger uglygirl said...

i think my hair is now shaped like a lunch box :(

no i love my hair i love my hair i love my hair i love m......

10:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I took back the moniker--it's a good thing now. Anytime I publish a graphic design of mine, I publish it under the name "LUNCHBOX HEAD GRAFIX".

:)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Rick Anonymi said...

The civil war of robot clowns is coming... ye'd best be prepared...

3:32 PM  
Blogger His Majesty said...

Ha ha. Ha ha. Bwa ha ha!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

L>T: Yeah, well, like I said, I spent a lot of time in front of the mirror, too. I thought I looked like a million bucks. Looking at old pictures of myself, I think I was dillusional. :P

DISPLACED NY-ER: Yes, the shag is so beyond even regular layers that it does take a lifetime to grow out.

STILL_FIGURING_OUT: I can't believe that you are still trying to figure out whatever it is you are trying to figure out!! Have you talked to anyone about this conundrum?? :)

GYROBOCOP: Lunch was served at noon. I still have your doggy bag. If you want, I'll have my assistant Fed-X it for tomorrow's delivery.

UGLYGIRL: Right this minute, my hair looks like I slept with my finger in a socket all night. Definitely NOT lunchbox head-ish today.
I look more like a troll than anything else!

RICK ANONYMI: Jesus Christmas, how many of you robots are there floating around this blogospherical apparatus??? ;)

HIS MAJESTY: Has anyone ever told you that you resemble David Bowie with your different colored eyes? Very impressive, your Majesty. You must get a lot of girls...er...female robots. How does that work???

6:01 PM  
Blogger Miladysa said...

LOL. I can see the film now! Pearl is a classic :)

5:39 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh don’t feel bad, I was called, “storm trooper” because I had the feathered back hair, but on the sides, it was blown out with a hair dryer as you sprayed at the same time. It looked like devil wings if you asked me. Do you know what I’m talking about???? Ha! It was horrible. Well remember, ANYTHING is better than a mullet!

On another topic, I remember I used to try to get girls to like me because I played guitar, I was like 12 yrs old…. And it didn’t happen. I didn’t believe there were any lesbians out there… Now “today” it’s different. I don’t even have to put on make up or dress nice—I could look like a sack of potatoes, but if I have a guitar in my hand, I’m all set. I even got phone numbers when I played out in my friend’s band a few months ago from girls. SHIT! I’m already with someone! That’s the only downfall.


Umm........what about Shane's hair? I wouldn't venture to get that style.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MILADYSA: Yes, the film about my life would definitely be very funny. I'm already trying to get Lindsey Wagner to play the role of Lunchbox Head. I don't know if she can get out of her Sleep Number Bed contract, though! LOL!

DEB: Damn, I played the guitar since age 7 and I played all over the country. The only time I ever got hit on by a girl was in art school (which is an essay I'm writing for this blog). Guys SWOONED over me and my guitar. Never girls. But, you have to remember our age difference. Melissa Etheridge wasn't too famous until I was about 21 or 22 years old. That's after I had already quit my band. Joan Jett wasn't even famous when I started playing the electric guitar (8th grade), and being a female electric guitarist actually was the cause of me losing a lot of my female friends. Not that I cared. At that point, I wasn't into the same things they were. Namely, drinking and boys.

And, yeah, Shane is looking a bit too manly towards the end of Season 2. What gives? It's a bit depressing.

11:53 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

That was the exact moment in my life when I decided that I wanted to be a guitarist, and not a drummer!

Good choice. Drummers suck. They're the most undependable people in the world. Never ask a drummer to pick you up at the airport.

Do you know what to do when a drummer knocks on your door?

You take the pizza and pay him.

Do you know what to say to a drummer in a three-piece suit?

"Will the defendant please rise"

And lastly, if there are any drummers in my anti-zombie compound when the plague starts, they will not be allowed guard duty. They'll keep the gates open one night and we'll wake up to the compound swarming with zombies. Not a good way to die. !@#$%^& drummers!

As for lunchbox head? I like that. My nickname was tapeworm, because I ate enough for two grown males and have always been rail thin.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

For some strange reason (especially considering I'm a dyko) I ALWAYS got major crushes on male drummers...I even dated the drummer in my band when I was 19--BIG MISTAKE!! But that's a whole nuther post...

Is 'nuther' a word?? I don't think so.

Animal was always my favorite muppet, too. He pretty much defined the true essence of a drummer, don't you think??
My nickname was tapeworm, because I ate enough for two grown males and have always been rail thin.


BLASPHEMY!!! I can't tolerate people who can eat whatever they want yet remain thin!!!! I was rail thin throughout highschool, then art school hit and I put on the 15 college pounds. I still wish I was rail thin...but I'd have to nix the chocolate to achieve that, and that ain't happening anytime soon!!! ;)

12:38 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Marcy - It's not as good as you think. I'm heavily into wrestling (a no-holds-barred hybrid style), and the last group I was in, I was only one of two people under 200 pounds. Keep in mind, nobody goes easy on you because they're bigger than you when wrestling either. Let's just say I spent a lot of money on massages (and now Yoga).

7:58 PM  
Blogger flatlander said...

Now I know why you like to call me Flathead, Flatfooter, Hatlander, Scatmumbler....Ok, I made those last two up myself.

But do you see how the opressed has become opressor?! Not that it really bothers me, but maybe I remind you of one of your brothers.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ZOMBIE SLAYER: I wanted to be a wrestler once (see the BOXING DAY post). BTW--Bhatki says hi!

FLATHEADER: Yes, my brother Tommy looks EXACTLY like the dude in your profile picture. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings! :)

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I can't emphasis enough how great I think your writing style is :D I was so thrilled to find a new post here today!

Lunchbox head is pretty funny though :D My childhood nickname (given to me by my dad, who I am sure thought it was a cutesy thing) was "Peckerwood". Yeah yeah, laugh it up :P

I never had a shag haircut, but when I was nine, my grandmother took me to get a perm, and I ended up getting this HUGE afro :( I was teased for weeks by my friends :(

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

STEPHANIE: Things are a little hectic in the Marcy_P household right now. Trying to juggle lots of things, and stay sane while doing it!

I will probably post one new story a week. How's that sound?? I know it's not a lot, but these stories are my memoirs, and they can't be rushed. *blushing and fluttering my eyelashes*

ps thank you for the writing compliment!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home